Saturday, 18 March 2017

A Connection across the Sea

I got one of those fraudulent calls today, from India. The lady said, "I'm from Telstra, and I'm ringing up about your internet connection and your computer." I knew it was fraudulent because I'm not with Telstra.
Before I answered I prayed inwardly that God would give me His words*.
Then I said, "God loves you."
After a long pause she said, "What?"
I said, "God loves you."
She repeated, "What?" I could tell she was completely flabbergasted.
I said, "Jesus died for you on the cross because he loves you, even though you are a lying, thieving fraudster who is just trying to steal people's money. He died for your sins, because He loves you, even though you are a wicked person, just as he died for me, even though I am a wicked person too. Jesus loves you and wants to save you from that lifestyle and out of that situation where you are doing such evil things all the time. All you have to do is give your life to Him and He will save you."
She was silent for a long time. Then I said, "Do you want me to pray for you?"
She said "Yes."
I prayed something like, "Lord God, please save this lady and accept her into your kingdom. You love her. Please rescue her and help her to realise that You died for her sins and love her and Your blood was shed for her, to save her. I'm praying all these things in Jesus' name, Amen."
She said, "Thankyou," then after a long time, "What is your profession?"
I said, "I don't want to give you any information because you might still be trying to defraud me. But I will pray for you."
She said, "Please pray for me."
I said, "Alright. What is your name?"
She told me a Western name.
I said, "Is that just the name you use for these phone calls? Please tell me your real name."
She told me her real nama and she said, "Can I talk to you again?"
I said, "Ring me any Saturday and I'll talk to you. In the meantime I will pray for you."
Please pray for her, readers. I have put her name on my fridge, to remind me to pray for her! I wonder if she will ring me back?

*Added this afterwards to clarify.
**Special Note - some cynical atheists will say religion exploits people's fears. But it's fine for someone who's comfortable, plush existence allows them to dull the voice of their conscience, to allay and push into the background any thought of the sins and wrongs they have done. But for people who are forced into sinful, rotten lives by economic necessity, the gospel is fantastic, wonderful news. For someone who cannot see a way out of the spiderweb, the lies, the sin and selfishness their life is trapped in, the gospel about Jesus' forgiveness is life from death and water to the parched and thirsty soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear griffin friend and dirigible traveller - please feel free to leave a comment. I always try to moderate comments within 24 hours or earlier, so hopefully it will appear soon.