Monday, 13 March 2017

Broken SmartPhone = An Epiphany.

My brother in law accidentally broke my mobile!

It was a blessing. I was playing piano for a rehearsal tonight, and how relaxing it was without the smart-phone. In weeks past I often would read a kindle book in the breaks while the conductor was talking to the choir, so as not to waste time, & to avoid the temptation to fiddle on the keyboard. But now I was just doing one thing, playing the piano, and it reminded me of the old days, without mobile phones.

In that moment I had an epiphany. Long before I even had a mobile phone, my idol had been, "Don't waste time." Or, to fill in the principle more fully, "Don't waste a moment, because life is short, and you don't know how long you have left in this world." A kind of philosophy that had become a sort of desperate Stoic panic for me. (And how wonderful an aid a phone is for following this philosophy! You can use a smart-phone to fill in those 'wasted' moments with reading more books, emails, blogs, news, checking the time, etc etc. ) I don't think I'm exaggerating in saying that it was an idol, a false god. It was the principle that ruled my life, the idea that enslaved me completely.

But the fact is, if I have faith, I can trust God with my time.

If I am in the centre of God's will, trusting in Jesus, I will have time enough for everything that God wants me to do. In other words, there doesn't need to be a panic to fit everything in - God has his own times for things - and for whatever he has planned for me, I will have enough time to do that.

What a blessing! Thank God my brother in law broke my phone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear griffin friend and dirigible traveller - please feel free to leave a comment. I always try to moderate comments within 24 hours or earlier, so hopefully it will appear soon.